Animals like their day to be predictable. Routines give dogs a sense of security and confidence, help them to control their emotions and cope with difficult situations. Introducing fixed and unchanging elements throughout the day is very often part of behavioural therapy for fearful or aggressive animals. It should also be the basis when a new four-legged member of the family arrives at home, as it is much easier for him to adapt to the new conditions. Find out how to create the perfect daily routine for your pet!
Table of contents
- Routine – an important part of a dog’s life
- Increased sense of security for your pet
- Pet health under control
- Easier organisation of your day
- Ensure your pet’s daily comfort
Routine – an important part of a dog’s life
A clearly defined daily schedule will ensure that your dog knows exactly what to expect and when. This applies in particular to:
- rest times (not only at night),
- other activities, such as learning commands.
Of course, ruthlessly policing the routine can also harm the dog. A pet needs to be able to cope with the unexpected; without this, it will have difficulty controlling its emotions in “emergency situations”. Therefore, the dog’s daily schedule should be rather general and assume only the most important items on the “dog’s to-do list”.
Increased sense of security for your pet
The repeating sequence of events every day gives the animal a sense of security. This is very important at times when he needs to be reassured – for example, after he arrives at a new home or moves in with his carers. If certain events are always repeated at the same time, becoming routine, they provide a kind of anchor point for your dog. Your pet will quickly learn that all his basic needs are met whatever the circumstances, so he won’t stress about waiting for a walk or food, even if his location changes. This will also be good for building a bond with your carer.
Pet health under control
Following a daily routine makes it easier to keep an eye on your pet’s health, reacting quickly to abnormalities and worrying symptoms. Regularity is very important for health, especially when it comes to feeding and exercise – it helps to keep your dog in good shape and avoid behavioural problems related to excess energy and guarding resources. Introducing a daily routine also works well for dogs with special needs that require extra grooming – such as combing, bathing, eye drops or ear cleaning.
Easier organisation of your day
How do you create the perfect daily plan for your dog that makes life easier for you too? Don’t “force” it – take your own needs into account too! The repetition of daily routines will not only make it easier for you to anticipate your dog’s reactions, but also to make your own plans.
What should your dog’s routine consist of? For example:
- Morning walk – many dogs learn to get up at a specific time, so consider that your pet may wake you up at the same time at weekends too.
- Breakfast – the daily portion of food is best divided into a minimum of two meals. It is important not to feed your dog before or immediately after physical activity.
- Rest – it is a good idea to teach your pet that the hours you spend at work are a time to calm down and sleep.
- A second walk, followed by playtime or other forms of togetherness.
- A short evening walk.
- A night’s rest – when your pet can rest after a long day in a comfortable bed – for your dog’s health, sleep is extremely important.
Of course, this is just an example. The daily schedule should be tailored strictly to the character and needs of your own pet! You will quickly find out what dose of physical activity and rest is optimal for your pet.
Ensure your pet’s daily comfort
A daily routine gives your dog a sense of security, but it is worth remembering not to turn it into boredom! A carefully designed schedule is not enough if you do not provide your pet with the right accessories. In our online shop, you will find all kinds of toys to make your pet’s playtime more enjoyable and a comfortable bed for your dog to rest on. Check out Rexproduct and take care of your four-legged friend with us!